Tomato Pineapple Sorbet

Hey I'm back! At least for now.  For the few people that actually missed this project, I apologize and am going to try more steadfastly to be consistent in my postings.  I am also interested in focusing this blog on something more specific or topical.  I have not figured out what this scope is going to look like, but when I do you shall know. 

Pardon the photo, I am out a camera right now
Tomato-Pineapple Sorbet

2-3 lbs of yellow tomatoes (I used a garden peach variety as well as a couple Valencia and Yellow Taxi. I think this came out to about 10 tomatoes or a medium mixing bowl full of whole ones). Make sure they are blanched, peeled, cored and seeded
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tb raw honey
1/2 cup of pineapple juice plus 1/4 cup of actual crushed pineapple
juice of one lemon
2 Tb honey pepper vodka
a tiny pinch of nutmeg
a pinch of salt

Combine the prepared tomatoes, sugar, pineapple juice and bits in a saucepan and cook for one hour at a simmer.  Remove from heat and cool.  Add the honey, vodka, lemon, nutmeg and salt then puree with an immersion blender.  Place the mixture in the fridge for a few hours or the freezer for one.  Usually the mixture has to be pretty cold for optimal creaminess with the ice cream maker.  Pour mixture into the machine and process for 30 minutes.

This is an incredible dessert.  It's light, sweet and complicated.  Just how I like it.  Freeze before serving.  The vodka in the sorbet will prevent it from icing over too much.  If you are someone who has eggs in your house...my bestest friend taught me a trick (that I wasn't able to use but definitely put things into perspective for me).  The consistency of the sorbet mixture before it is put in the machine should support the weight of an egg.  The egg, if placed in the mixture, should float by the tiniest margin.  Then you know if your sorbet will come out perfectly.  I just pretended and visualized the egg floating in my sweet tomato soup and that was enough for this to come out with surprising success.  

Use yellow tomatoes here, for they are sweeter and more delicate. 

Also, this seems like a lot of sugar.  If you are not into that, reduce by 1/4 of a cup.  But I will say that when you freeze something, the sweetness is cut down.  Science? Magic? I do not know...but it happens. 

More interesting things with tomatoes coming soon.  I've been taking advantage of the season!

I've also been taking advantage of the pretty flowers from the farm. Look! They feel like paper...


Thanks for reading! Share this with people who like delicious things...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts