I want to have a dumpling party.

With dumplings from all over the world! A regular model UN of dumplings.  I mean really, think about all the dumplings that could be there. This is a great idea.

Anyways, if you haven't already made dumplings THEN WHAT IN THE WORLD IS STOPPING YOU? No don't feel bad, because earlier in the month I made my first batch! So easy and wonderful!

These are Chinese style, just like the kind I would have gotten at China Pan in Hartford, CT.  You know, the really thick, doughy ones that in some cases may be an interesting shade of green.  For whatever reason, Boston does not seem to have vegetarian dumplings in this style.  If you know of any place that would provide me with this particular type of comfort food, please let me know!

Anyways, I looked in this giant, 1990's Chinese cookbook that I got in a thrift store somewhere as a reference and it was a good starting point. 

You will need: A sifter and a bamboo steamer

Ingredients:

4 1/2 cups of sifted flour
1 1/2 cups of water, plus more if needed

Sift the flour into a bowl and pour in the water.  Create a stiff dough and knead for 5 minutes.  Let it rest for 15 minutes with a damp towel over the bowl. 

Make your filling!

1 cup of bamboo shoots, chopped finely
3 scallions, chopped finely
3 slices of ginger root, chopped finely
1 carrot, chopped finely
1 cup of chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup of chopped cabbage
tamari to taste
little bit of sugar
2 Tb mirin
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
2 Tb of miso broth

Let all ingredients marinade for 15-30 minutes while you work with your dough. Divide the dough in half and roll each piece into a log.  Slice into 16 rounds.  Flatten each into a circle and roll out as thin as possible without threatening the integrity of the dumpling.  Spoon a tablespoon of filling in the middle of each circle and fold each "corner" to each other, pinching the dough together.  Bring all the "sides" of the circle together and twist at the top to seal. 


Place all the dumplings in the bamboo steamer lined with cabbage leaves and make sure they do not touch eachother...this will get sticky.  Steam for 25 minutes. 


At this point, you can serve just steamed or pan fry in some sesame oil.  This recipe makes a lot of dumplings so leave some of them un-fried for leftovers! When you reheat them do the following.  Fry in some sesame oil until browned on all sides.  Make sure the pan you are using has a cover.  Pour some water into the pan and cover immediately.  Let steam for just a minute or two.  This will soften the dumpling up while still allowing them to be kinda crispy!

I served this the first time with braised bok choy and brown rice.  So good!


Next time you are craving Chinese, you could order out.  Or you could have a mini dumpling party.  Now there's that option.  I love this option.

I have been hesitant to blog recently, because I still think it is really stupid and that no one actually cares what food I make.  But on the off chance that there is someone out there who derives genuine pleasure from reading about my food and looking at these shitty pictures with a regular old camera, I will go on.  At least I have a my own online recipe box. 

BYE!

Comments

  1. i love reading your food blog! it makes me happy to know what you are making. it gives me a weird sense that i have a better idea of what you're doing daily. is it weird that knowing what food you make actually makes me feel like i know a substantial amount about your life? maybe i'm projecting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this blog, too! And dumplings are YUM. Doughy doughy deliciousness. I make dumplings sometimes, too, but I call them potstickers. I am certain there is a real difference, but I can't really see one except that mine are shaped differently and I do not steam them.

    Food is great! I want to write a food blog all the time... and then I think about how much work it is. Keep writing!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I added you to my blog list thing on our blog. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love you ekl and ms. T. project away.

    lauren, i don't know you as well but i love you too. do you boil the potstickers??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jen, I love reading your blog!

    I actually made dumplings this week, too. Only mine weren't vegan. They were delicious!

    I'm thinking about making a ridiculously large batch and freezing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen,

    At first I was like, "she doesn't know me? It's me, Lauren Cerretti!" and then i read your comment closer.

    anyways: i fry the potstickers briefly, then add a few tablespoons of water to the pan and cover em up, then i let the water evaporate and the potstickers get brown. so i guess i fry and steam them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts