Stereotypical macaroons

Some are true.  Like junk food and menstruation.  I ate so much crap last night that this morning it felt like I was hit by a big mac truck.  Granted the binge eating involved Primal Strip, roasted seaweed and caramel soy crisps...the macaroons pulled me over to the unhealthy side of things.  Although, I retract first thought.  Look at the ingredients...how bad could these be for you?!? Aren't all things vegan healthy?!? *Insert Sarcasm*


Lemon-Ginger_Almond-Coconut Macaroons...yup

1/2 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup of whole wheat white flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
2 Tb brown rice syrup
2 Tb coconut oil
1 cup of mashed up slivered raw almonds
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup coconut milk
zest of 1 lemon
heaping tablespoon of ginger, microplaned, frozen
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine the flour, sugar, salt in a bowl.  Whisk together the brown rice syrup, coconut oil, coconut milk, lemon, ginger, extract in a cup.  Make sure the brown rice syrup and coconut oil are really melty because both of these ingredients coagulate QUICK.  So work fast.  Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  Stir in the coconut and almonds.  Form messy little balls, about 20 of them.  Bake at 350 on parchment paper for 15 minutes.  At that point, you should see the sugar caramelizing at the bottoms into a nice golden brown.  They will be really mushy when you take them out, but worry not.  The coconut oil, rice syrup and sugar will harden when the cookies cool.  Wait 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.  Cool for at least 20 minutes. 

Disclosure: I had ONE Emmy's organic and raw macaroon left...it was mint chip flavored.  I wanted more, so I made twenty at 11pm.  ugh! These taste like the raw ones, but I don't do that shit. I only buy.  Mostly because I do not have a dehydrator and these are key for yummy raw treats.  At least in my opinion. 

These came out pretty well! I might experiment with coconut flour next time.  Or the cream part of coconut milk when you keep it in the fridge for a few hours.  That could be nice.  Might make the center less grainy and more smooth and cookie-like.  We shall see. 

Enjoy!!

love,

jp

Comments

  1. Hey Jen! Do you ever make baked goods without sugar? I don't eat sugar and am always looking for desserts that don't use it. Sometimes I just replace with maple syrup and cut some liquids, but it doesn't always work.

    You let me know!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo no sugar! i have not consciously baked that way, but! Do you eat sucanat? I use that in place of regular sugar a lot. It's actually very brown sugar-like. And brown rice syrup is cool for some things too. It's hard to replace sugar with liquid sugar, but you are right in reducing the other liquids. I would think that you could use less maple syrup or agave, whatever because they are pretty sweet. Besides sucanat I'm not aware of any other non-liquid sugar replacer. This must be difficult for you, but I am really interested in any sugar free recipes you might have!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts