A Daisy Family Interlude

Did you know that daisies are related to artichokes and artichokes are related to sunflowers and sunflowers are related to sunchokes? I wish daisies were edible, there would be so much potential there.

I have had zero time to cook and have been mostly eating meals at the raw food restaurant at which I work.  But after a tough time crisis counseling on a hotline tonight, I really needed to take some time and prepare a meal for myself. I deserved it.


First, let's go over the sexy arty I have going on here. My mother has been making these for my entire life and I never thought about how lucky I am for that.  I have realized that close to no one I know has eaten artichokes like this.  Thanks Mom! This is really special.  Also, I think I have finally zeroed in how to make them perfectly.  Secrets! Basically I used whole wheat bread crumbs, onion, garlic, the stems, lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper and toasted sunflower seeds.  Then they take a bath in the ol' dutch oven for a while.

Sunchoke-Tomato Bisque

what you need...

1 1/2 cups of sunchokes, peeled and cut into 2 in. pieces
1/2 cup or 2 parsnips peeled and cut into thirds
2 Tb olive oil
2 shallots, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
splash of cider vinegar
2 1/2 cups of broth, warmed (I use better than bouillon chik'n style)
3 sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup of canned diced tomatoes
an immersion blender
1/2 cup of mimicreme*, soy creamer, or heavier nut milk
a swoosh of raw, local, organic honey (*Aa got me this honey that is produced from the bees in maine only pollinating blueberry blossoms- oh my goodness)
salt and pepper to taste
parsley and mint to garnish

Saute the shallots and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat for a few. Add a splash of vinegar and let cook off for 30 seconds.  Then throw in the chokes and snips with the warmed broth, thyme and bay leaf.  Bring to a boil then simmer heavily for about 20 minutes.  Check and see if the chokes are tender.  Simmer for longer if necessary.  Either way, after 20 minutes add the tomato and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and blend until absolutely smooth.  When fully smooth, blend in the half cup of cream and honey.  Return to stovetop and heat through!

This soup is slightly sweet and savory.  You can definitely omit the honey if you'd prefer less sweet.  This is a winner.  You'll be thinking about the weird synthesis of artichoke, potato, sunflower flavor until  the last drop is a semi-distant memory, a ghost of the space in which the leftovers sat longingly.

Love!

jp

Comments

Popular Posts