Mango-Chili Pâté

The spread obsession continues.  I was remembering this particular kind that I was lucky enough to have in Germany.  Combine that with two of my other fascinations, namely brazil nuts and irish moss, and ta da! A delicious and versatile spread.

Here is what I did.  I blended a "sprig" of irish moss, about a 3 inch piece, with 1 ripe ataulfo mango forever.  Like until the blender was screaming with the fury of grind, pulse, puree, mix, liquefy all together at once.  Then I added 1 small jalapeno, about a 1/4-1/3 cup of coconut butter, a teaspoon of red chili powder, 1 tsp of powdered rosemary sprigs, 1 1/2 cups of soaked brazil nuts, white pepper, a touch of coconut nectar and salt.  I blended more and then let it set in the fridge for a couple of hours.  The longer it chills the more solid it will get.

Ataulfo mangos are from Mexico but originally are Hawaiian I believe, sweeter, spicier and tarter than "regular" mangos, and have been way in season for the past couple of weeks.  It was a great choice for spread because these mangos are not very fibrous so blend perfectly!

Irish moss is crazy.  It is an Atlantic Ocean based sea weed that contains a lot of carrageenan, which you have probably noticed in your body washes, lotions, ice creams, etc.  Very similar to agar agar. It is a stabilizer, an emulsifier, and clarifying agent and also has a ton of iodine like all sea weeds.  Some say it is a powerful aphrodisiac.  I do not disagree, although the only thing I can attest to is its suitable nature for pudding making. Pudding, Love? What shall the difference be?


Also featured is a super raw, super oceanic kelp noodle salad with daikon, carrot, chard leaf, mixed greens, spicy cashews dehydrated with tamarind and chipotle, and a sweet miso dressing made by Prana Restaurant.  So healthy so delicious.

Anyways, that's my spread.  This made about 2 cups so I still have a ton.  Come over and eat some.

Love,

JP

Comments

  1. I WANT TO COME OVER AND EAT SOME!! my only consolation is that i have a jar of mango-chili spread waiting to be opened...miss you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts