Baby jp's First Pie...

Jesus Christ what a deliciously epic failure.  I really wish I could make pies like the ones on Pushing Daisies. 


Actually, I'd also just like my wardrobe to look like Pushing Daisies...



And while I'm at it, I'd like to own a pie shop exactly like this. Great show, check it out.

But, my pies are very ugly. Like, really really atrociously ugly.  I am giving myself a break because this is the first time I have ever tried making pie.  I'm satisfied enough that the apple pie tasted phenomenol but looked like a 5 year old made it.  I blame Alton Brown.  I trusted him with a pie crust recipe, and instead he told me to make a sugar glaze from macerated apple juice and bake it on the pie at 425F! OF COURSE it got a little burnt.  Maybe a full on pie was too much for a beginner.  As you can see, it started out really well. 


And the result...I actually cannot even post the entire pie.



Like I said, very tasty.  The tapioca in the filling makes it just the right amount of fake gelatinous.

Then I tried baby pies...


Look good right?


Then they exploded!!

Meh! These are Rosie Cherry Peach Pies.  Also delicious, but what the frack?! The filling was made with fresh peaches, frozen cherries, lite brown sugar, lemon juice, arrowroot, rosewater, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and allspice.  This time, I turned the oven down to 375F and baked the pies for like 40 minutes.  Then I brushed a peach juice reduction glaze on the crust and baked for like 20 more minutes.  They definitely came out a little better but I am still extremely unsatisfied. 

THIS IS MY FAVORITE THING IN THE WHOLE WORLD.  Okay, so on Pushing Daisies Charlie suggests to the pie maker that he sell "cup pies." I just had to make one of these.  I don't care how bad it comes out, it is still fucking adorable.  Cup Pies! Yes!



Whateva! I'm getting better I think.

I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I've learned many pie tricks though. For example!

*Bake pies on the bottom of your oven.
*Drain juices from fruit before you fill the pies
*Roll the dough from the center-out to avoid sticking and breaking. 
*Chill the dough for at least an hour to make the gluten easier to work with
*Let cool for at least 4 hours

That's all I've learned thus far.  But, I am baking another pie tomorrow.  Ginger Pear! Yum!

The worst part is the huge mess and copious amounts of dishes.  I'd do them, but there's a kitty in my sink


Just a lil lazy eye action there just like her mama.

Love,

jp

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts