Cute and Easy...food not me.

Oi vey I can't line another shelf with contact paper, so instead I made shredded beet salad and Chickpea and Tomato Stuffed Squash with Wild Rice. Recipe follows.

Somehow I moved into my apartment with basically all of my pantry essentials.  This is mostly because I am a freak and won't throw anything away, not even the really old tub of french fried onions...or the bag of almond meal that has like 2 TB left.  I suppose this works in my favor.  Who has three different sizes of tapioca balls?! This lady! Beat that! Alas, I am able to cook before I leave for Germany.  Here ya go!

Beets for the Beat                                                        

3 beet roots, shredded in food processor
1/2 clove garlic, minced with microplane
1 1/2 tsp of red wine vinegar
3 Tb orange juice
1 TB tahini
salt, pepper, olive oil
scallions, chopped (optional)

Very simple but just as delicious.  The orange juice adds a tad bit of sweetness to be balanced off by the tahini, garlic and salt.  Crunchy beets are my favorite things in the world! Seriously, I even love staining my hands with that beautiful purple-pink dye.


Earthy Stuffed Squash with Chickpeas

The spices in this one are very very earthy, especially the sumac.  No, it's not poisonous...but it is slightly citrusy.   Combined with the zatar ("Middle Eastern" marjoram), the aroma is out of this world!







3 bigger squashes, like zucchini or delicata or 5 baby squashes, like the ones at the farmers markets. Carve out a nice deep center at an angle for the stuffing. Save the tops but also the squash guts (chop these up)

2 slices of slightly stale bread (I used When Pigs Fly Multigrain Anadama), broken into 1/2 inch chunks
3/4 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup chopped basil
1 Tb zatar
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground sumac
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp lemon pepper, the good kind.
1 tsp lemon juice
salt
drizzles of olive oil
1/2 small onion, minced

1 clove of garlic, minced
1 TB tomato paste


Saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes.  Add squash guts and tomato paste.  In the meantime, Combine the bread, chickpeas, basil, spice blend, olive oil, lemon juice and salt in a bowl.  Add the sauteed onion and garlic.  Carefully toss.  Drizzle some water into the mixture to achieve desired texture.
Brush the outside of the squashes with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Then stuff them with your chickpea concoction.  You can also put the cute little tops of the squash (if you have rounder ones) on a baking sheet with the stuffed squash and roast for 20 minutes at 375F.


Serve on top of wild rice and garnish with basil and/or chives. I'll get a real picture when I serve this after work.


F, i leave in 4 days.

Comments

Popular Posts