Surprise! There's cayenne in your rice krispie treat!

So I really wanted to make rice krispies treats.  I've made them before with peanut butter and that's pretty much the way to go. And then! Then I hopped over to Harvest Coop for a quick sec and stumbled upon FIERY PEANUT BUTTER! Yes, pb as we know and love it combined with cayenne pepper and chili powder.  This is my dream come true.  So obviously, I had to put this in a nice big batch of rice krispies treats.  Now this peanut butter is a bit pricey, so I'll include how to make your treats spicy for less. 

I have a blast and a half every time I go to Harvest.  It's like jambalaya.  These are some of my favorite products.


Oat milk is the shit.  And it is cheaper than a lot of other milks, especially almond but even soy! Now, this here chocolate.  I can't even believe what went on inside my mouth when I tried this.  Sea Salt in Dark Chocolate is ingenius.  Please try this.  And actually this bar of fancy chocolate was under 3 bucks! I was pretty psyched on it. 

Okay back to the treats. 

What you need: a tray lined with wax paper, a double boiler, a small pot

Ingredients:

7 cups of rice krispies
3/4 cup of brown rice syrup
1/4 cup of light karo corn syrup
1/4 tsp of vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup vegan sugar
1 cup fiery peanut butter or 1 cup peanut butter plus 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper and 1 tsp chili powder
1 bar of dark chocolate

Combine the brown rice syrup, corn syrup, peanut butter, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and spices in a small bowl over medium heat.

 **Tip!** Spray your measuring cup with pam before putting the brown rice syrup and corn syrup in.  This way, the extreme stickiness will be defeated and the syrup will slide nicely out of the cup.  Same goes for when you would use molasses.

Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves and the alcohol in the vanilla cooks off.  It doesn't have to come to a boil at all.  Definitely taste this as you go because you want to check heat and sweetness levels according to your taste.  If it's too spicy for you, add more sugar or regular peanut butter.  You get it. At the same time, you can start to melt the chocolate by either utilizing your double boiler, or making one by putting on a small pot of water and placing a metal bowl on top of the saucepan.  As the water gets hot, the steam will melt the chocolate. See?


You can keep this on very low heat to melt the chocolate. Back to the other stuff, once the sugar is dissolved, take off of heat.  Pour the rice krispies in a large bowl and line a tray/pan with wax paper.  Next, pour the hot peanut butter mixture over the krispies and mix gently but rapidly.  Transfer the the mixture into the tray and press down, shaping and molding the mass.  My treats cooled and settled really quickly, making it difficult to shape so work quickly! Then swizzle the melted chocolate over the tray of krispies. Stick in the fridge for the chocolate to coagulate but not for too long or else they will be too hard to eat right away.  I left them in the fridge for like over an hour and then I had to let them come to room temperature for another hour in order to cut and serve them.  Disclosure, I also added a dash of cayenne pepper not realizing how spicy the pb really was, so they really turned out with quite a bit of heat.  I didn't include that extra cayenne in the recipe. 

Voila! Delish.


I love treats!! Give yourself one often!

<3 jp

Comments

Popular Posts