True Bistro Brunch Review

I've been waiting for this weekend for a long time.  It's when my mother and her boyfriend come for my birthday and insist on taking me out for whatever I want.  I shamelessly opt for the most expensive vegan place around the city, True Bistro.  Although I actually think Peace O' Pie might be just as expensive, stupid place! For those of you who are not familiar, True Bistro is a new high-end vegan dining establishment in Teele Square, Somerville.  In New York, it would not be as fancy as they make it sound here.  But it was still a million thousand steps up from the regular veggie dives here, in terms of presentation, quality, atmosphere, and level of fanciness.  Brunch was reasonably priced.  You can get one meal, an alcoholic drink and a coffee for 20 bucks I'd say. 

Small place, well spaced, lots of lighting, chic/clean interior design.  Look at the cute artichokes! These were my second favorite part of the experience. 



Other important factors:

They have more than decent mimosas...



Really delicious french press equal exchange coffee...

Vegan waffles with hazelnuts, poached pears, whipped cream and maple syrup. MMMMMMMM



Not pictured was my favorite part, the vegan crepes with lemon, blueberry and vanilla ice cream.  Ugh! So good! I also ordered a biscuit that was more like a scone and wild mushroom gravy with "crumbled seitan sausage."  Now this was a big disappointment because the "crumbled" adjective was not the right choice.  There were teeny tiny pieces of diced seitan.  Not sausage-like, not crumbly, or of a good texture.  They really need to do some work on that.  Honestly, I like my biscuit, sausage and gravy recipe better (which you can find here on this blog).  As for the crepes, they were a heavenly experience! But again, if you have made crepes a million times like me you can probably do this yourself and be happy.  I'm willing to pay 9 bucks on special occasions though. 



My mother and friend got the Tofu Florentine which looked and tasted pretty good! The homefries it came with were really nothing more than a small dice of potatoes wildly unseasoned and definitely not crispy.  As Aa said, "I get to have homefries that consist of 30 different types of root vegetables weekly, this is bullshit." They need to work on that too.  Listen to me, I'm such a snob.  Again, if I am going to pay a lot of money for food, I want it to be something that I either cannot make or is better than my own creations. 

All in all, it was really good! My meat eating family seemed to enjoy it alright! Only downer part? The service was horrific.  By horrific I mean overly friendly, fake, corny, stressful and annoying.  I am a server and I never say these things about other fellow customer service slaves.  But that girl needed to chill out OR her boss needed to get real (it was probably management's fault, as a I saw some lady lurking around constantly).  I will never try and work there because their customer service vision is embarassing. 

I'll go back when someone wants to pay for me! Or when I'm ballin' and for some reason cannot make my own crepes! Maybe lunch and dinner have something interesting, if you know...spread the word!

Until next time!

jp

Comments

  1. This restaurant sounds delicious, but let's be honest -- I agree with Aa. I would rather eat your cooking any day.

    But the fact that you got to eat delicious crepes without having to make them makes me smile. You deserve it on the wonderful time surrounding your birth! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts