A real meal: Chik'n cutlets, baked rice and broccoli rabe

When a meal like this ends up on the table, or in this case on our laps because we almost always watch TV while we eat (yuck), it's hard not to feel proud.  Sometimes, as a vegan, I still fall into the stereotypical meal structure that was enforced oh so long ago.  Meat plus Starch plus Side Veggie.  In theory I am a proponent of making the vegetable the main attraction, but in practice I almost always make sure there are at least three items on the plate, all of which are as exciting as the other.  That is why I love this meal.

Sauteed Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Olive Oil, Baked Purple Wild Rice, Chik'n Style Fried Seitan Cutlet with a Roasted Red Pepper & Mustard Sauce 

But I do not love the fact that meals are accompanied by Netflix EVERY TIME.  In the moment, it is desirable usually because I have worked really hard for a couple of hours preparing a meal and just want to zone out and enjoy.  But this is counter to everything I feel about food, ya know?  What is lost when meals are not shared but just consumed?  First, I don't get the food talk, mouth noises and praise that I need to feel good about my skilllzzz.  Second, the consumers do not get to experience a true connection to what they are eating.  I feel the same about socializing via T.V.  Yeah everyone is fine and enjoying themselves, but there is always something missing.  Not to get all throwback domestic on ya'll, but I miss dinner at the table no matter what! Actually, growing up I think the exception was Chinese food take out, which we ordered once a week every week.  This desire of mine is a real breakthrough because that enforced collective intake of food in my family usually ended up with me screaming, crying and storming off into my room to clean, make a mess, and then draw all of my stuffed animals on butcher paper.  I think I'm over that though...maybe.

Anyways, just a meal idea.

jp.

Comments

  1. You didn't always end up screaming and running to your room! However, at least your room got cleaned once in awhile! Still have those lovely drawings!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts