Latke Beetz

The moon is orange, we must eat root vegetables.  Seeing as the very title of my humble blog here centers around root vegetables, it might not strike you as a surprise to learn that they are my absolute favorite foods! All of them! Beets, turnips, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, radishes, celeriac...you name it. I will eat it. As long as it comes from the ground.  This recipe involves the first three in the former list of roots.  Check it while I wreck it.

Root Veggie Latkes!

Hopefully you have these things chillin in your veggie drawer. 

2 turnips, 2 carrots, 2 beets, 1 yellow onion, all shredded
1 1/2 tsp of crushed caraway seeds
1 tsp dill
sea salt
black pepper
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup chickpea flour
a touch of maple syrup
a glug of olive oil

Combine all of the ingredients and mix until you get something between a batter and a dough.  You want it to hold together enough to make patties, but not be dry enough to cook too quickly on the outside without giving the veggies enough time to soften up! Hope that makes sense.  I'm guessing on the accurate amounts of flour here because I did that thing where I just throw a bunch of stuff into a bowl and see what happens.  But the basic idea remains...the starch, gluten and fat will hold everything together.  Chickpea flour adds a subtle flavor, a bit more protein and fiber, and a binding agent.  If you want to go gluten free on this one, I say go ahead and use just the chickpea flour!

After you form the patties, pan fry them in a shallow bay of olive oil over medium heat for 7-10 minutes on each side.  Serve with applesauce and sour cream! And arugula if you are a weirdo like me who insists on putting arugula in everything when I am fortunate enough to have it!


My Gods I could not get a decent picture of these things.  I do not think that speaks to their delectability though.  It's just that pink food is hard to capture, especially when it is not a dessert! Thank a beet.

Our first round of seeds for the garden arrived today! Soon I will be sowing amaranth, peppers, calendula, lettuce, tomatoes, thyme and basil in the comfort of my own home! Life is good.

Love always,

jp

Comments

  1. Hiiiii.

    I was going throughout my storage space yesterday and I have TONS of seeds. I'll gladly share if you want to come over sometime soon!

    It was nice hanging out this week. Mwah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I feel the need to let you know that my word verification was 'sunchip'

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaahhh sunchip! how cute!

    i'm jealous of your seed storage! i'd love to check it out. Thanks girl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts