Tostadas de Frijoles con soya!

This is what I want from Brunch. A tiny Mexican, slightly healthy, mostly not, tower of delicious food.  Aa is always disappointed with the vegetarian options at Mexican restaurants.  I concur.  This is why I can only go to El Pelon because they will make me tacos as well as the standard but phenomenal veggie burrito and fried plaintains.  Where are all the tortadas? And empanadas? And chile rellenos, and mole dishes? Just make me a poblano pepper with some rice and veggies in it.  I will come back all the time. I'm selfish and am largely unfamiliar with making food from Central and South America in general.  But this is slowly changing with all of the latina cookbooks coming out these days!

This is a super quick, only kind of thought out Mexican-themed brunch tostada item. 

A.  Corn tortillas! Fry them in shortening. LIGHTLY
B.  Refried Pinto Beans! The kind with not a thousand grams of fat
C.  Tofu Scramble! I made mine with onion, garlic, black salt, turmeric, chili powder, mexican oregano, cumin and nooch.  Just for a refresher, saute the onion and garlic on medium high heat.  Add the tofu (I like the extra firm vacuum packed kind) and cook until lightly browned.  Add all the spices mixed in with some water.  Cook for 5ish more minutes, until it is all reduced and has reached a yummy consistancy. 
D.  Fixins! Cranberry Mango Salsa, Sour Supreme, chopped scallions, whatever

Gently spread the refried beans over the fried tortillas and place in the oven on low heat while you get everything else together.  Throw the finished t-scram on top of the beans and see where the morning takes you...

Layer them!

Or don't!

Muy delicioso. 

Sorry about the serious absence here.  I'm too depressed to make good food.  Must. Have. Spring. 

Comments

Popular Posts