the part time life

Lately I've been feeling like a bit of a housewife.  Usually that would upset me, but instead I've just used this as an opportunity to make a feast! Also, whereas a housewife would drive her Lexus SUV or minivan to the grocery store a mile away, I walked! And then bought way too many groceries and nearly died on the way back from heat exhaustion, shoulder failure, and finger cramps.  Ouch.

I said there might be a fruit soup in my future and Oh Darling! Is there ever.  My obsession with fruit soup started in Sweden.  So basically I made this as a dedication to my dear friend Emma and our time together eating fruit soup out of a box.


I never got my hands on this rose hip variety, but that would have been delectable.  Seriously, there are entire aisles in Swedish grocery stores with this shit. It is AWESOME. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Snacks....whenever you wanted it, you could have it.

Today I decided to go for a slightly more savory version of what I like to think of as Swedish soup.  And I cleared out the blackberries in the garden trying to do so! This is a super easy recipe so let me know what you think!

Björnbär soppa

What you'll need:
pot, both kinds
immersion blender
strainer of some sort


Ingredients:


2 Tb earth balance
1/4 of an onion, finely chopped
1/2 clove of garlic
dash of salt
1/4 cup red wine (cabernet, chianti, merlot)
2 cups blackberries
1 cup water
2 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
juice of one lime
3 Tb preserves (I used strawberry rhubarb, but I think anything in the berry family would work)
yogurt and mint to garnish


Sautee the onion, salt and garlic in the margarine on medium low heat until translucent. Don't brown or burn! Add the wine and simmer for 30 seconds.  Throw in the berries, turn up the heat slightly, stir around, and let simmer for a little while, until the fruit is soft and breaking up.  Add your water, cloves, cinnamon stick, 1/2 the lime juice and preserves. Simmer for a few more minutes, basically to steep the spices and combine everything.  



Take off the burner and let sit for a few. Fish out the cinnamon stick and cloves, then blend.  IMPORTANT: you gotta strain this soup or else you will OD on blackberry seeds and they don't taste very good.  Chill for a few hours before serving.  Then, garnish with a bit of vegan yogurt or sour cream and mint. Pretty!




Next course! I went for a Perrone family classic. My mom used to make sausage and peppers all the time and gee whiz was it delicious. So today I made my own sausages based on the new standard for all things vegan sausage.  I'm not sure whose method this is, but I discovered the recipe on Vegan Dad.


I decided to make two kinds of sausages so basically I divided the recipe in half and tweaked accordingly. 


Spicy Sundried Tomato and Peppercorn:


I added 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, 1/2 tsp thyme, smoked paprika instead of sweet, kept the red pepper flakes and oregano, then 1/4 tsp whole peppercorns, slightly cracked.  


Pistachio-Cranberry:


For this one I used 1/8 cup chopped pistachios, 1/8 cup dried cranberries, 1/2 tsp rosemary, 1/2 tsp sweet paprika, kept the oregano and pepper, and substituted in 1/8 tsp cardamom.  We are in for a nice breakfast tomorrow!


After the Spicy sausages were done steaming, I let them sit for 10 minutes then cut them diagonally into 2-3 inch pieces. 




Fry them up in some olive oil and set aside.


THE REST:


3 poblano peppers, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1/2 green pepper, sliced
1/2 onin, sliced
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 TB homemade hot sauce (optional)
1 TB tomato paste...
dissolved in 1 cup of broth, although I probably didn't use the whole cup.

If I had homemade marinara sauce, I would definitely use that instead of broth and tomato paste....just sayin. In that case, reduce the liquid a little. 


Sautee the peppers on a higher heat with some salt to soften and cook until still bright and slightly crunchy.  Then I added the broth/tomato paste mixture, hot sauce and garlic powder and simmered for 15 minutes.  Towards the end when most of the liquid has cooked off, add the sausages.  Here's a bad picture!

Steamy!


Because I have no life whatsoever, I also made Blazin Johnny Cakes from Vegan Soul Kitchen (by Bryant Terry).  Great cookbook, plus he told me to listen to Method Man while I made these...rad.



Tada! I don't know how these other bloggers do this all the time.  Unemployment anyone?

Farewell,

jp

Comments

Popular Posts