Slaw for all!

Coleslaw is probably not as exciting as I thought it was this week.  It's just that I haven't had it in oh so very long.  But even when it was served to me as a non-vegan, I totally did not even eat it.  So here is another example of something that I like more now as a vegan dish than I did when nothing really mattered.  This is probably because mayonnaise is weird and gross.  Grapeseed oil spread with lemon juice and mustard? Not so repulsive.  So here's my spin on the slaw.



Jazzy Love Slaw                    

Cabbage! I just had green but please feel free to also use red or purple.  I shredded about half of a small head in my food processor.  Ew.
1 carrot, shredded or ribboned
1 green bell pepper, shredded
1 red apple, shredded
generous splashes of champagne vinegar
some vegan mayo, somewhere between 1/3-1/2 of a cup depending on your mood (if you hate this, you can definitely just use some oil and vinegar, no biggie)
salt, white pepper and black pepper to taste
handful of golden raisins
chopped walnuts and pumpkin seeds
touch of agave

Combine all ingredients and toss! So easy, crunchy and satisfying.  Also can be made raw without too much trouble.  So that's good I guess.  This coleslaw could definitely feed a family of 10 for a couple of days.  Or me for 1.  That is how much I love it and I don't know why. 

There was a sign outside my place of work yesterday asking for a raw vegan blood donor for a little kid who is having surgery.  I really hope that the parents go through with the surgery regardless of the donor they get, which I'm sure they will but you know...neglect happens.  It is very interesting though, I had never really thought about that. 

Chances are, I probably won't be making any food the next couple of days because I am finally relocating to the city! Ugh! Thank the goddess.  Lower Allston,  I shall soon reside in you and exist in a different form of limbo which will hopefully be more satisfying but probably no less existential.  It's nice to hear that until I'm 25, I will still be in this newly conceptualized postmodern theoretical developmental stage that basically grants me 2 more years to feel angsty and unsettled.  Or is that our generation's condition for the rest of our dreamily scattered lives? *sigh* Kidding, sort of. 

Off to pack! Compartmentalizing your life is a very healthy way to make sense of things.  Maybe that's why moving is so cathartic, if you do it right. Plans people, plans.  Mercury in retrograde is plotting against all of us.  Beware and take care.  Love you.

jp

Comments

Popular Posts