The Udon Debate

What is up with the deceptive multiplicity that is the udon noodle?  For me, there are few things worse than ordering Udon and getting linguine.  But there are a couple of instances.

Once upon a time there was this little Thai restaurant called Bamboo.  They served me the "vegetarian" curry udon noodle soup that I went back for once a week.  Everytime, I ask if the broth was 'meat' or not.  Then one day I stumble in on a particularly hot day which obviously necessitates curry.  The perfectly wonderful woman taking my order informs me that there is no way that soup could have been made vegetarian and I have been eating beef broth for weeks.  What the frack.  My time with this restaurant has ended and I have since resorted to making my own curry udon soup.  Consider this the lazy version.




Quickie Curry Udon Noodle Soup:

1 small potato, 1/2 inch dice
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1-2 hot pepper of your choice, minced
 2 cups of the following vegetables:
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Shitake Mushrooms
Summer Squash
Snap Peas, baby corn, water chestnuts, whatever you want
2 scallions
5 cloves of sliced garlic

4 TB mirin
1 TB brown sugar
1 tsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp better than beef bouillon
2 TB curry paste (you can make your own curry paste but I cheated and had a little jar on hand)
1 can of coconut milk plus 1/2 can water

In one saucepan, sautee the potatoes, celery and carrots in a small amount of sesame oil and some sea salt until softened.  Add the curry paste and stir to coat.  Cook for another 10 minutes.  Add 2 TB mirin to deglaze the pot.  Dissolve the bouillon in the half can of water and then add coconut milk and broth.  Simmer for a few.  Add salt and sugar if necessary.

Put on some water for your noodles.

At the same time, getchyo wok and sautee those veggies in some sesame oil until bright and crispy.  Use the rest of the mirin and vinegar to deglaze.    Add the veggies to the broth and keep warm until your noodles are done! I like to fry some garlic to top it off along with togarashi which is a Japanese spice blend! Yum!

If I were really cool I'd make my own noodles and my own curry paste but the hunger debunks me!

jp

Comments

Popular Posts