What should we eat tonight? I don't know, what do you want? I don't care, what do you want? Doesn't matter, whatever you feel like.

Does this title sound familiar to you?  Ah, how I love these conversations, they are all too funny.  After deciding and undeciding to get pizza at Flatbread my brain exploded and out came a really old box of Prince Manicotti.  Then all I needed was that package of tofu that was oh so close to expiration and basically my basil plant outside.  Ta da! Tofucotta Manicotti. 

I did something weird to the "tofucotta" that I decided to make.  I know that with non-vegan recipes, some people put an egg in with the cheese mixture that is stuffed into the pastas.  Stupidly, I decided to try and replace that egg with too much guar gum.  I don't know why I feel the need to put this shit in everything, but on I go, making weird textures.  Aa said the tofu tasted really good, but for a specific reason I won't mention here, my tastebuds are on overtime right now so I write on in disbelief.  Next time, I may try another powdery substance like baking powder or arrowroot...but actually this tofucotta is very simple and good as is.  So here's my recipe.




Spinach and Herb Tofucotta Manicotta                 

1 package of manicotti, which I believe has 12.  Cook according to directions, drain, and place on a platter or cooking sheet so that they don't crush eachother
1 package of tofu (in water), pressed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
handful of fresh basil, chopped, leave some for garnish
sprig of rosemary, minced
lemon juice, 2-3 tablespoon
1/2 cup of very finely chopped cashews, like in the food processor or with your vintage 1970's slapchop
a couple of toasted cashews for garnish
salt of choice, I used black olive salt *Yum!*     
black pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
generous amount of olive oil
Daiya (optional- if you are into this, go for it!)
sauce!

Preheat your oven to 350F

Mash up all of the ingredients with your hands! This is very fun.  Leave it well blended but a little chunky. 

When the manicotti are done and have cooled, use a little spoon to stuff them.  I did a little on each side. Arrange the stuffed manicotta on a baking sheet, right next to one another.  Generously spoon your favorite marinara over each one.  Top with some toasted chopped cashews if you want, or more tofucotta, or hell...even some daiya. 


Bake for 25-30 minutes, garnish, and serve!


Comments

Popular Posts