Crock Pot Minestrone

The perfect Sunday night meal.  Prepped all the veggies, threw them in the crock.  Had a Walking Dead/Boardwalk Empire marathon, added the beans halfway through.  Ate.


ingredients: carrots, onions, celery, zucchini, potatoes, red pepper, garlic, "beef" bouillon, thyme, oregano, basil, red wine, big ol' can of tomatoes, salt and pepper, red and white kidney beans, small pasta...but not as much pasta as you see here because it is borderline inappropriate.  after like 5 hours of waiting for this soup, you might be pretty hungry and tempted to eat all the pasta in the world. 


Oh! And crusty Iggy's baguette. 


I had to make this because I tried some at work and it was not what I wanted.  On that note, a few of my own soup standards:

Unless serving the entire contents of the meal at one time for many people, I would not cook pasta in the soup but instead boil it separately and add to each bowl as needed.  If I were to have a dinner and it would all go within an hour, boil the pasta in the soup! It will taste great! But there is NOTHING I hate more, well almost nothing, than mushy overcooked pasta in soup. 

If using canned beans as opposed to dry beans, add later in the simmering process.  I also find mushy beans unacceptable in certain soups. 

Use a good broth.  

Taste contantly when you prepare a soup.  Allow the flavors to round out before deciding that it's all set. 

That's all! Bye!

jp

Comments

Popular Posts