Brunch on a Tuesday! Biscuits and Gravy Baby

Sometimes, to tell the truth, my food restrictions get me down.  I mean what am I, an orthodox or something? If I really wanted to eat cheese, I would do it, right? The saving grace for me is empowerment.  I am empowered by avoiding the consumption of certain things, not punished.  Indulging in some goat cheese might satisfy some nascent desire from my taste buds, but there is nothing empowering about that.  If anything, I hate being bogged down by what people like to call instincts or "natural" desires.  I don't even know what that means and insist that they do not apply to me.  As a general life rule, and this comes easier when you are a woman I think, when something is called natural and instinctual, one must question.  In fact, I pretty much question every feeling, desire and thought that I have...just to check if it's fucked up.  Sometimes, it is.

Anyways, when my socialization gets the best of me I really need to eat something hearty and comforting.  Thank goodness for Brunch! It's so in right now...



I made Baking Powder Biscuits from VWAV and added a barley malt glaze to make them golden brown but really the latter was what happened.


Paired that with my tempeh sausage patties, previously posted on this here blog which I made for the restaurant but don't think ever happened.  It's too bad, because I really think this is a winner.  I just halved the recipe, skipped the bouillon, added tarragon instead of sage, nutritional yeast, kept the maple generous and shaped them differently.  Note: I didn't measure anything I put into the recipe this time.  In fact, when I do things come out oddly.  So I went the intuitive cooking route this time.  I maintain that these have the best texture ever! The rolled oats give it a layered, flaky thing and adding onion and garlic provide more depth and chunkiness, a real homemade feel.  Steaming these gets rid of the tempeh's bitterness, all the way! Seriously, only the good flavor is left over.  Pan frying them in olive oil ensures a golden crispy flaky outside layer.  Mmmmm

note the apparent unevenness of my stupid electric stovetop.  it's fine, i just rotate a lot

Topped it all off with a noochy sage gravy made with lots of nooch obviously, maybe a half a cup, about a tablespoon of arrowroot, vogue veggie base, earth balance, fresh sage, fresh thyme, one and a half cups of water, salt and pepper. 


 Ate with VP t-scram leftovers, with the necessary added gourmet seasoning of Adobo :-)

Have a wonderful day! It's 4:15pm and mine is just starting.

love,

jp

Comments

Popular Posts