Thanksgiving is a genocidal holiday, but I guess we all know this and therefore get to ignore it

Well, I will say a couple things. I'm extremely thankful for the magnanimous effort that my mother and grandmother put into this Thanksgiving for their annoying vegan kin...me and me.

I'm really thankful that my brother ate something I made and actually enjoyed it.

Thanks to working fireplaces.



And boyfriends that are extremely cute when ill. 



Mostly, Thanksgiving makes me really sad and uneasy accompanied by a distant feeling of elation and warmth.  Admittedly, this is my general binary of feelings except exacerbated by complications in my notions of home, family, friends and the consequential dreams that come from all of this.  I think it has something to do with guilt and the underbelly of celebration but this time I found my incessant tummy ache a good scapegoat.  Every time I ate a damn brussels sprout, my stomach roared in fury.  It wasn't the sprouts fault though, it was the evil holiday bug that ails me every time. 

I'm really excited to share all of the food that was made! I'm basically skipping the potluck because I wasn't happy with anything that I made.  I had a slight accident with chipotles and over spicified by cornbread apple stuffing, a failed experiment in cranberry sauce crisp that resulted in something close to granola, a chalky pumpkin pie with a burnt crust, but a decent experience with seitan wings and a decent hot sauce.  Obviously after this, I resolved my anger by promising to never create a blogpost again and to end this charade once and for all.  But, I'm bored and have no life so on I go. 

The potluck was definitely a success though.  Lots of people really pulled through and made some tasty concoctions.

Thanksgiving Day spread:

 Walnut Stuffed Artichokes...

 

First, you trim the tops.



 Then you saute the stems



Then you stuff!








 
Lastly, you steam!





 Arancini di rizo


Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary Red Onion...Great Grandma's Vinegar Cauliflower...Baked Yams with Cereal Topping




Cranberry Orange Rice Pilaf

Sage-Rosemary Stuffing
 

The classic can of cranberry sauce


Spiced Poached Pears with white wine, peppercorns, bay leaves, lemon rinds and saffron


Blueberry pie, straight up betty crocker style



Next post will be the recipe for arancini di rizo, which is still a work in progress.  This was a helluva meal.  Thanks Mom and Grandma!

love,

jp

Comments

Popular Posts