Creole Style Black Beans

I'm just gonna go head and throw some of these here black beans in the crockpot!

As I was dreaming of New Orleans and what it would be like to live there, I decided to do some research on Creole spices and such.  I came across a bunch of the same recipes that had similar ingredients lists.  It was quite obvious to me that lots of people post and repost recipes that are exactly the same, measurements and everything. They don't even change the wording.  That's totally fine, but some weird part of me if perturbed at them for not having a bibliography.  Whoever posts that original recipe deserves some credit! But wait girl stuck on top of the ivory tower! Forget your capitalist ways! Do I really believe in intellectual property when I abhor the origins of private property in general?  Should food be a concept that passes freely from person to person, community to community, without the burden of ownership? I kind of think so.  This leads me to vegan cookbook creators and the plentiful and somewhat annoying world of vegan blogging.  It should be about more than rigorously calculated recipes, which one person creates and others copy.  Food is one of the most simple things in the world.  And all we do is complicate it with industry and profit, byproducts and processes, ads and endorsements.  Keep it simple.  Get a crockpot???

Enough of what I think.  

Here is what I went with after browsing the same recipe, posted in a million different spots.  Maybe this just means certain types of food have not been vomited up all over the internet.  Here's to ruining something rare! Cheers.



what you need: crockpot, colander, big pot

ingredients:

1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 parsnip, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
basil
thyme
2 bay leaves
white pepper, black pepper to taste
sea salt
cayenne pepper
korean chili powder
crushed red pepper flakes
8 cups of broth, I used no-chicken flavor
1/2 of a lemon's juice
a few swigs of olive oil
a handful of parsley, chopped
1 pound dried black beans

I revisited the rapid boil method of cooking beans via this website right here, which also has the recipe I adapted for the healthier, less guilty vegan life.   Apparently, the rapid boil soaking method reduces intestinal gas after consuming beans.  I'll let you know...

Basically, you cover the beans in lots of water and bring to a boil.  Keep it boiling for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let it sit for 2 hours.  Then drain and rinse the beans from the soaking water.  Combine alllllllll of the ingredients in the crock pot, turn it on high, and have a nice day.  Wouldn't it be wonderful to start this at night and wake up to the aroma of a wonderfully flavorful, cheap Creole meal?? It would.  But instead I started this in the afternoon and waited around impatiently for the beans to become delicious.  I'M STARVING!!  I cooked the beans on high for 5 and a half hours, then turned it on low for 3 and a half hours.

Served this over brown rice, with stewed collard greens, kale and dandelion.  Yum!

love,

jp

Comments

Popular Posts