Chocolate Stout Ice Cream, already cool, but way cooler because it's vegan

I churned this by hand. No, I didn't.  But my weird electric gel bowl did, by it's stupid mechanical hand.  Chocolate Stout is so good, why wouldn't it be delicious in ice cream? I made this for a potluck.  Is ice cream the right thing to bring to a potluck?  Clearly not, because I forgot it was in the freezer and didn't even break it out! Thank goodness, by the time we were leaving I remembered and subsequently smuggled it out, soon later indulging in a hefty mug/bowl surrounded by the comfort of my home.


This came from veganized jen version of this here recipe.  I liked it because it said to use honey even though I decided on maple syrup. 

1 1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cups of coconut milk beverage
1 cup chocolate stout, I used Young's Double Chocolate Stout
1/3 cup of maple syrup
3 Tb arrowroot
1/3 cup of sugar
3/4 cup of cocoa powder
1 bar of dark chocolate

Basically, you heat all of the ingredients on your stovetop without actually bringing it to a boil.  When it is clearly thickened (arrowroot is activated by heat) and the sugar has dissolved, take off the stove to cool.  I have a Rival electric ice cream maker with some weird gel technology that needs to be completely frozen before using.  Then I cooled the ice cream mixture in the freezer for an hour or two.  Pour into the jug thing, 3/4 full.  I stirred in some chopped up dark chocolate at this point. Flip the switch and 25-30 minutes later you should have ice cream, but more like frozen yogurt consistancy if that makes sense.  Then you place the ice cream in a separate container and freeze accordingly.  

So as with most vegan ice cream, this tasted a little too icy and not enough creamy for my tastes.  Honestly, I'm not sure how to fix that.  My instinct is to add an emulsifier of some sort, but I won't be trying that for a wee bit because there are not 2 quarts of ice cream in my fridge.

I had Aa throw together a pumpkin spice ice cream based on this recipe, though he found that it wasn't sweet or flavorful enough for our liking and added maple agave.  That one came out a lot creamier, presumably because of the pumpkin puree.  The chocolate stout didn't have that creamy ingredient.  Maybe next time I'll get crazy and throw vegan cream cheese in there or something.  Coconut yogurt perhaps? Hmm...please feel free to throw ideas out there. 

Bottom line, both flavors were still delicious.  You could really taste the stout and the pumpkin was really pie-like.  Yum. We ate this with pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, made by Roommate N! Double Yum!

My cat loves vegan creamy products.  I let her have some because there's no cholesterol! But just a little!


In other news, I made a bunch of stuff this week that I didn't feel like taking pictures of...oh well! But you should definitely be jealous of a delicious rice-lentil moussaka, citrus vegan spare ribs over quinoa with steamed kale and spinach accompanied by a garlic-sesame-ginger sauce, a spooky stromboli, and a seitan pot pie.  I'll make the stromboli again since that seemed to be a real winner at the potluck.  Fried eggplant, steamed kale and portobella mushrooms with homemade marinara sauce and balsamic caramelized onions.  I dropped the blogball on these guys! Sorry!! I'll just have to make EVERYTHING again.

<3jp

Comments

  1. The creaminess factor may be related to fat content, if I remember correctly -- most dairy ice cream has some combo of heavy whipping cream, egg yolks, and milk so the fat content is way up there. I'm not sure what you could add to a vegan version to fix this though -- maybe flax eggs? Thick, homemade almond milk?

    I'm thinking that maybe we should experiment with this in a few weeks: http://www.mimiccreme.com/

    I have some extra cartons that I bought at Ocean State Job Lot. I think we should try some sort of salted ice cream. Maybe with pieces of that almond sea salt chocolate bar in it...SAYIN'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There may not be enough alcohol in the stout. Try adding 1 Tbs of vodka to reduce the iciness and add more creaminess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but make sure you add it to chilled ingredients before placing in your ice cream maker. You'll lose the alcohol if you heat it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa: Yeah! Totally! I used full fat coconut milk and the fattiest milk substitute that I could find and it still didn't work out. I looked into soy creamer, but actually they make that shit without any fat at all! LAME. But 1 cup of stout could have been 1 cup of fattiness. :-) I cannot wait to try this out with you!

    Tammy: THANK YOU! That makes so much sense. Alcohol doesn't freeze! Of course! This comment is much appreciated, thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts