In typical crepe fashion

Crepes are perfect for every occasion of your daily life.  Sometimes I forget about them, but when I remember, oh do I remember.  Now, for the next week I will have crepe batter in my fridge constantly, allowing me to indulge literally whenever I want.  That being said, I did learn that cold batter does not work well and you really do need to work with a room temperature.

I started out with the crepe recipe in the Joy of Vegan Baking.  It's pretty good, uses Ener-g, sugar and nutmeg.  The color was more dessert like than savory but obviously I chose to stuff these babies with the latter. 


Steamed Green Beans, Roasted Mushrooms with white wine vinegar, garlic, lemon pepper and sea salt, Roasted Red Peppers, and thinly sliced Baked Zucchini dipped in chickpea flour, lemon, agave and almond milk, coated with panko, crushed almonds, sea salt, black pepper then drizzled with olive oil


Served with Vegan Goat Cheese, personally developed by moi using cashews, tofu, black salt, nooch, lemon juice, agave, splash of almond milk and a touch of olive oil

Delish!

Crepes make me feel slightly pretentious, so I'm going to try to counteract that feeling with a slight rant on veganism and whiteness.

I think some people would denounce veganism based on its apparent whiteness and level of privilege it might reflect.  Unfortunately, these people would be correct, at least in part.  Like any alternative, subversive practice it has been appropriated by corporate America and mainstream politics and encouraged for purely profitable reasons while at the same time, always being capped before ever actually affecting change at least at a consumer level.   But please don't equate my veganism with upper middle class Whole Foods mom politics, yuppy diet fanatics or misogynist sex fiend Peta membership.  Yes, I have the privilege of choosing what I eat, we all do.  I also had the privilege of being educated, but it didn't make sense to me to deny myself a wonderful and beneficial opportunity just to pretend that I wasn't too white or something.  So instead of focusing on why veganism or vegetarianism is a narrow, white, class based practice, I choose to focus on how I can acknowledge this and my own privilege and at least live it out in ways that are not fucked up.  It's there, it will always be there and I can't escape it.  

As a white person, I have mobility, I have choice, choices that are continuously slashed because of my gender, but still...choice.  I live in a place that has farmstands, and not just convenience stores that sell fried chicken, the closest thing to a vegetable being the french fries on the side.  It is fucked up in a way that I have these privileges, but I consider it way more problematic that eating right, nutritionally and ethically is a privilege at all!! Or that veganism is unattainable for those who struggle in society! That somehow people have forgotten how oppressions are linked, inextricably and that the same powers that oppress and fragment by body are also poisoning us, the earth, dividing classes of people and waging war on the animal world.  I think that labeling veganism as a white practice ignores all the influence and participation that people of color have had contributed to the ideas and practice, which is quite significant! It also in a way ignores all the work that has been done within poor communities and communities of color in the name of food justice.  Okay, off my soapbox now!! :-)

the end! can't wait to break into my buckwheat crepe batter.

love, me

Comments

Popular Posts