Potluck Preparation Begins, with the laborious seitan loaf

Nothing makes me feel more accomplished than creating seitan by hand from scratch.  It's been happening for thousands of years, so you know that there is something special about the experience.  You must fight with this dough, maybe cry into it, but eventually marvel at it's very existence as the giant hunk of pure gluten protein floats to the top of a delicious, dark bath of kombu, ginger and tamari.  If I wasn't making this for a potluck, it could probably last me months.  But, it's future form is buffalo wings and if I pull through on this one, there won't be any left. 

Here's the general procedure:

First, you mix a bag of bread flour with 6ish cups of water.

Then you knead for 10 minutes and let rest.


With warm water, you wash the dough over and over until all the starch comes out. This takes me so long!



The last time, you wash with cold water and then immerse the hunk of dough in a big pot of cold broth, bring to a boil and simmer for 3 hours.  At that point, the seitan has formed and is firm! Crazy!


To store, submerge it in the broth and keep refrigerated.   I also read that if you bring it back to a boil in the broth for 10 minutes every week or so, it will keep way longer.  The only thing I hate is how chalky the broth gets from leftover starch.  I think it would be worth it to strain out the powdery starch every once in a while. 

Anyways, I will continue to post my updates on the potluck cooking extravaganza! Next up: scallion pancake dough, with a twist.

love,

jp

Comments

  1. this is like my favorite ever. i don't know why.


    -a

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts