Italian-Southern Collard Greens Fusion

I am Italian. I do have family from the South...although I've never really met them.  So really there is a  whole secret part of my life that exists somewhere in Alabama??? Weird. More importantly, I love greens...bitter dark greens.  Ugh! There is nothing better.  So here are all of those things in one recipe! Fun!

When I search for recipes on the interweb, those that reference someone's grandmother or in this case "nana" are always the ones I go for.  I don't actually know if this means these recipes are better in any way, but some nostalgic part of me gets really sentimental about family recipes.  There have been no family recipes passed down to me on my side of the fence, but I do in fact view this blog as a way of invoking food memories, therefore creating family recipes without them being coined as such.  Dear family, if there are any family recipes that I'm not aware of, please feel free to share such things with me, the only younger person of my kin that is obsessed with cooking.  love, jen

I liked this one I came across. I changed it a bit, but wanted to reference it because it was a really great starting point.


what you need: dutch oven, pot, colander, grater

ingredients:

1 bunch collard greens, trimmed, rinsed and torn into bite size pieces
1 bunch dandelion greens, trimmed, rinsed and torn
dash of baking soda
1 carrot, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
about 1 cup very roughly grated seitan
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 Tb coconut oil
1 tsp chili oil
margarine or olive oil
splash of red cooking wine
salt
white pepper
1 1/2 cups broth
3 Tb balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Heat the coconut oil and chili oil in the dutch oven over medium heat.  When it gets really hot, add the grated seitan with some salt.  Fry lightly for a few minutes, add the paprika and a dash of white pepper.  When it starts to stick, add the splash of red wine.  Let brown.   Remove from dutch oven and set aside.

Add 2 Tb margarine or olive oil to the dutch.  Sautee the onions, carrots, celery and garlic with some salt until softened. In the mean time, put on some water in a separate pot with some salt and baking soda.  Blanch the greens.  Rinse and drain in colander. Add the 3 Tb of balsamic and stir constantly for a few minutes.  Now add the blanched greens, fried seitan, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste and broth.  Lower to a simmer and let cook for an hour.

This is SO good. SERIOUSLY. MAKE THIS! I served this over cous cous with some texas pete for a scrumptuous lunch.  YUMYUMYUMYUMYUMYUM.

<3 JP

Comments

Popular Posts